Ayurveda in times of Corona | Ayurvedic treatment for Corona virus or Covid-19
2020-21 has been a year like no other in recent or even distant memory for, well, the entire world, as we navigate unsettling times amid the new Corona virus pandemic. The number of confirmed cases has exceeded 3 million rupees in India and continues to rise.
Most of us have been practicing social distancing by staying further in, canceling long plans, avoiding crowded spaces, and working from home with an indefinite timeline of when normalcy would return. It has been a really long journey.
We have been receiving hundreds of inquiries seeking Ayurvedic recommendations to combat the Corona pandemic. Here are some Ayurvedic tips and strategies that have been proven time and time again to support our body’s immune system efficiently in times of serious challenge.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment approach for Covid-19 ?
Ayurvedic’s basic approach to all infectious diseases is to support and empower the body’s innate processes to address the challenges posed by infectious organisms.
The human body is incredibly evolving and smarter than any virus. And, frankly, when we are in good health, we can overcome any virus 100 times out of 100.
And Covid 19 is not a regular virus. Once thought to be a pathogen that primarily attacks the lungs, it has turned out to be a much more terrifying enemy that affects almost every major organ system in the body. And no cure has yet been established. So don’t let everything happen by accident. A reasonable way to do this is to improve your immunity and strength and stay away from the virus until you have a reliable treatment.
Ayurvedic tips to Enhance Immunity
Please note that these Ayurvedic suggestions are not a substitute for conventional treatment, but are recommendations for maintaining a healthy immune system.
Strictly follow the warnings of the respective governments and health departments.
Ayurvedic Recommendations from Ministry of AYUSH [Govt of India]
General Measures for enhancing immunity and fitness of mind and body
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Do Pranayama [deep breathing exercise] every day
- Practice yoga for at least 30 minutes a day.
- Meditate daily
- Include turmeric (curcumin), cumin, coriander, and garlic in dishes.
Ayurvedic drink for immunity.
- Drink herbal tea made with holy basil, cinnamon, black pepper, dried ginger, and raisins once or twice a day.
- Add brown sugar (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice according to your taste, if necessary.
- Those who are used to consuming milk regularly, can mix half a tablespoon of turmeric powder in
- 150 ml of warm milk and take once or twice a day.
Ayurvedic herbal medicine for immunity and strength
Chyavanprash 10 g in the morning. [Diabetics can take Chyavanprash without sugar]
Simple Ayurvedic treatment that improves oral and nasal health and immunity.
- Nasal Application: Instill 2 drops of sesame oil / coconut oil / ghee into both nostrils in the morning.
- Oil Extraction Therapy: Take 1 tablespoon of sesame or coconut oil in your mouth.
- Do not drink it, swish it in your mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it out followed by a warm water rinse.
- This can be done once or twice a day.
- Steam inhalation with fresh mint leaves or caraway seeds can be practiced once a day.
- Clove powder mixed with natural sugar / honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or sore throat.
Additional suggestions from our Team.
Ayurvedic herbs that may support the body in fight against viruses.
The herb Tinospora cordifolia [Amrit] is considered one of nature’s most powerful immunomodulators that can help the body against viral flu. [It is the main ingredient in many formulas used in Ayurveda for fever, cold, cough, and infections]. And it also helps modulate the body’s immune response in various immune-mediated conditions [mentioned in Ayurvedic scriptures as the most potent herb [agrya aushadhi] in treating rheumatoid arthritis autoimmune condition].
Taking Withania Somnifera [Ashwagandha] can strengthen the nerves and boost immunity at this time.
Triphala powder is helpful in maintaining the health of the intestine and colon and also benefits the immune system.
Amla [Indian gooseberry] 30 ml of juice mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey, a pinch of turmeric, a pinch of black pepper and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice daily is a popular folk remedy for immunity.